Home Flight Training Advanced Flight Training Formation Rating


Learning to fly in formation is fun, challenging and rewarding. It is a skill that once learned you can share with your aviation friends amongst other flying activities. 

Even if you don’t have intentions of regularly flying in formation with other pilots, this training will improve your overall general flying skills. It requires fine and accurate control of the aircraft while maintaining good communication with your formation partner(s) in high workload scenarios. Along with these advanced flying skills, formation flying will teach you the art of preparing for a flight and considering environmental factors and influences that you may not have considered in the past. Most importantly it teaches you how to evaluate and critique your flying with a structured, disciplined approach. 

Formation flying isn’t something that we just do on the side. Our instructors also fly formation aerobatic joy flights with Max Aviation so it’s safe to say you’ll be in good hands. 

Our formation training syllabus has been developed using the same techniques that military pilots use for their formation training and will ensure that you are competent to a standard well above the RA-Aus Operations Manual and CASA Part 61 requirements.

What are the medical requirements?
RA-Aus medical deceleration (meeting a health standard that would allow you to drive a motor vehicle, provided known medical conditions don’t exist) – Click here for more information about RA-Aus medical requirements. 

CASA issued class 2 medical or higher. Click here for more information about CASA issued medicals.

What aircraft do we use for the course?
Eurofox 2K – Click here for the aircraft information.

Pitts S2A – Click here for the aircraft information.
(for those looking for a CASA Formation Flight Activity Endorsement

How much does it cost?
You can see our hourly rates for dual training and briefings here.

Previous Experience Required?
You must be the holder of a RA-Aus Recreational Pilot Certificate or CASA Recreational Pilot Licence or higher.