Home Flight Training Learn To Fly CASA Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL)


Overview: Full-Time – Up to 3 consecutive days for tailwheel pilots or 5 consecutive days for non-tailwheel pilots (part-time options available). 

The Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL) is administered by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA). This licence allows pilots to fly a heavier aircraft (generally up to 4 seats) in comparison to the Recreational Pilot Certificate (RPC) which is limited to 2 seats. Pilots enjoy the flexibility of having the option of additional endorsements and sharing flying adventures with more than 1 friend at a time. 

Like all of our courses, the RPL is designed to be completed in a short, fully immersive training block. This creates the ideal training environment to achieve your goals. It not only improves retention rates of new information and skills, but it allows our instructors to spend one-on-one time with you, tailoring the course to your individual learning needs. 

Prior to undertaking this course, you must have completed an RPC.

How old must you be?
To hold this licence you must be 16 years or older. 

What aircraft do we use for the course?
Piper Super Cub


How much does it cost?

CASA Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL)

Fly aircraft up to 1500kg
$ 2990*
  • This is an estimate and based on the following:
  • Flying Hours (Piper Super Cub) = 5 Hours @ $378/hour = $1890
  • Instructor Time = 2 Days @ $605/day = $1210
  • Course Deposit - $1500


How much does it cost?

CASA Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL) + Tailwheel Endorsement

Fly aircraft up to 1500kg
$ 5049*
  • This is an estimate and based on the following:
  • Flying Hours (Eurofox 2K Tailwheel) = 3 Hours @ $196/hour = $588
  • Flying Hours (Piper Super Cub) = 7 Hours @ $378/hour = $2646
  • Instructor Time = 3 Days @ $605/day = $1815
  • Course Deposit - $2500

*This licence is competency-based. The time and cost required to complete this course will vary from student to student and is influenced by other external factors like weather. This course includes 2 hours of basic instrument flying in accordance with our approved training syllabus. Please note there are no legal minimum hours required to complete this course, it is purely based on pilot competency to successfully pass an Aeroplane Flight Review (AFR).

Theory exams:
There are no required exams for the transition from RPC to RPL however, when you conduct a Flight Review to activate the licence you will need to know the privileges and limitations of this licence, be able to demonstrate sufficient flight planning skills and have a sound knowledge of the aircraft you are operating.

Previous experience required?
You’ll need your RA-Aus Recreational Pilot Certificate before completing this course.